The key to living a healthy lifestyle and actually sticking to it is planning ahead. It may take a couple of weeks to adjust to planning out meals and thinking about your food but once you get a hang of it, you'll find that it will come more naturally. Plus, you'll be feeling great! Here are my top 5 tips for planning ahead to stay healthy and happy all week long!
1. Invest in a slow cooker: Slow cookers are amazing and require almost no work. I use mine at least once per week, if not more. What's amazing about a slow cooker is that you can throw all of the ingredients in, press start, and you've got a home cooked, healthy meal ready and done when you're home from work. That's it! Get my favorite slow cooker recipe HERE.
2. Prep your breakfasts: Take 25-30 minutes one evening to prep a few on the go breakfasts for yourself and your family. This takes some of the rush out of your morning and also ensures that you get proper protein, veggies and fat into your body in the morning. Try my on-the-go egg cup recipe on the Mint Blog or bake up these healthy coconut flour blueberry muffins!
3. Always make enough for leftovers: When you cook dinner tonight, double or even triple the recipe. This way you'll have leftovers for lunches and even dinners for the remainder of the week. Built in meal prep!
4. Stock up on glass containers: When you are double or tripling your dinner recipe, pull out those glass containers. Before you serve dinner, fill up those containers so that you have your meals portioned out AND so that you don't overindulge at dinner since you've made extra food. If you're like me and forget to grab your meal prepped food in the morning, try putting a sticky note on your fridge, door or coffee maker to remind you to pull out your meals and take them with you.
5. Have a backup plan: Life happens and we don't always have the time or the energy to prepare meals. If that happens, don't succumb to the unhealthy takeout gods! Have a backup plan in place! Some of my go-to backup plans include healthy meal delivery services like Munchery, Sprig or Sunbasket. If I'm out and about and need a healthy meal then I'll pop into chipotle and order their salad with extra veggies, chicken, salsa and guacamole. Skip the dressing. I've also been knowing to run into the grocery store and pick up a hot rotisserie chicken, avocados and lettuce. This is a yummy quick meal that also won't break the bank.
Do you have some tips on how you make your healthy lifestyle work? I'd love to hear from you! Please leave your comments here and I'll be sure to get back to you.